Thursday, September 25, 2008

FInally The Time has come

So I finally got the flywheel puller in and I can split the cases. All i have to say is thank goodness for my printmaking degree. You might be confused so let me tell why I say that. I got the flywheel puller and ran into the garage like a giddy little school girl but to my dismay it didn't thread right in. The threads on the flywheel were all covered in dirt so I clean it out and it is a no go and it damages the first 2 threads on the flywheel puller. So i get all frustrated and look closer to see that the threads on the flywheel had been gnawed on by a beaver or someone had used a hammer and some medieval tool on this before and the metal had been bent in a bit as to cause damage to my brand new flywheel puller. Also the threads in some places were crushed together and in some places totally missing. So since I don't own a tap and die set that are 1.0 mil and almost an inch in width i had to call upon my printmaking skills. I went to my studio and grabbed my burin (an engravers tool, its what is used to carve the filigree and faces on our money, its made for detail line work) and carved the threads on the flywheel as well as the flywheel puller by using the previous traces of the threads as a pattern. And it went right in. Man that feels rewarding.


This is a burin. (Thanks to James Ehlers for teaching me to use one properly during my time back in undergrad.)



So I took off the flywheel and the magneto and split the cases what I found pleased me. Nothing majorly wrong as far as I can tell. There is some wear on the kickstart gear and on the shift cross (man I sound like I know what I am talking about). So I am most likely replace the kickstart gear and send the image of the shift cross to someone who could answer if I need to replace it. So here are some images from the cases being opened. The entire thing is now in its smallest parts possible and I am going to clean clean clean then replace what I need to and throw it all back together and cross my fingers, say a little prayer and see what happens.








Here is the wear on the kickstart gear.


Here is the wear on the shift cross.

No comments: