Friday, August 22, 2008

Reasonings

So i have started a project. Life for me is very busy. I am blessed since my hobby and passion are my job. I am a art professor at Georgetown College in Georgetown KY. But like my wife's grandfather said "you always need a competition for work" I needed something to do other than what I do. Now I have always loved vintage vespas but could never afford one or had the time to wrench on a wreck. But one day a friend and I drove down to London KY to a motorcycle salvage yard just to check out what was there for his motorcycle that he rides and just as an adventure. I step out of my truck this place is a graveyard there is not one bike with even half of its parts it is just mountains of frames and tanks and bits and pieces...but in the middle of it all is a vespa pk50. Now it is need of some serious TLC but in the middle of nowhere London KY and in the middle of a true junk yard there is an true vespa import never sold in the US (it has no indicators and no speedometer) So i approach the owner of the salvage yard and ask him what is the story on the 50cc scooter out front and he informs me it is in no way a 50cc scooter. I find this curious since the side cowl on the scooter says PK50S. He tells me that some "show off kid" drove 3 hours to see him and show off this scooter and how fast it could go, and while showing off he popped a wheelie and wrecked it. They heard a loud pop and he could not get it running and being abandoned he sold it to the salvage yard guy (maybe in hopes of coming back? I dont know) but after looking it over a bit I see that it has a performance exhaust and a modified aftermarket carburetor. The salvage Yard owner informs me that the prevoious owner had put a new piston in it. So i figured man I would love to work on that guy and even if I could not get it running or after cracking it open saw that it was way to much money to invest I could sell it piece meal and get at my first estimate about 2,000 dollars just in parts. This of course is not my intention, but a last resort. So i bought it for a steal. I affectionatly call him PK. Kinda like Peekay from the Power of One, he has changed me for the better. Below are some images of how and where I first found him.


No comments: