Friday, January 30, 2009

Cush gear and Clutch basket

So when I took the motor down to bare bones I found that one of the springs on the back of the clutch basket was broken and I had two choices.  Option one: replace gear and basket (179 dollars) or Option two: Get replacement plates and springs (21 dollars) and do it myself.  Now they warned me this is one of the biggest pains to do.  I was willing.  It was a pain.  Here is the part in its original condition.

After I drilled out and ground out the old rivets and got the plates off I found that 2 of the springs had been sheared.  Here it is in all its glory.
Here is the cush gear, clutch basket, plates and springs.
New plates and springs.

Now to crush the rivets without a machine to do so properly I had to build a small tool.  This is it.  It took almost just as long it seemed to make this as it did to crush all the rivets.  It is a small piece of round stock rigged to fit into an anvil and so that I could heat the rivet while it was on this stand, slip the basket and all over this tool and strike the hot rivet... It didn't work anything like that.  I made the top just large enough to hold the head of the rivet while crushing it flush and true.  I didnt think that if the head of the rivet went on the lip it would crush the lip therefore defeat the purpose of it holding the rivet, this happened.  
I ended up throwing this guy away and just using a ball peen hammer and the corner of the anvil.  Once I gave up the tool it was a whole lot better.  If I had just crushed the junk out of the rivets on corner in the first place it would have taken me half as long and would have looked a little better.  But in the end it worked out.  below is the finished piece back in the motor.  

No comments: