Friday, January 30, 2009

So here is the engine on its way to being closed.  I am well along in terms of its reassembly.  I replaced the shift cross, the kickstart rubber, the kickstart gear, all of the oil seals and gaskets.  I reassembled the gears to the axle and pressed on all bearings to their places.  Below is an image of the new kickstart gear.

Here are both cases joined.  I was in need of one size nut for the crankshaft on the clutch side.  It took me an hour of driving to find one and that was at advanced auto and it was not even labeled and then ended up just giving it to me since we couldn't find the package it came from or where it belonged.  I tried Lowes, tractor supply, fastenal and grainger.  It was a 12 mm by 1.5 thread.  Everyone seemed to have 1.25 and 1.75 but not 1.5 so if you are looking for that nut good luck.  I still have to grind it down to the right thickness but it will work.  I am also in need of a woodruff key that is the right type for the clutch basket.  After this I have to just reassemble the wheels, magneto and flywheel, and exhaust.  If i get the time I think I can kickstart it within a month.  Pray it starts or else my wife might drop kick it.   Thank goodness we have had some serious ice and snow so that I can stay home and get some time in on it. 

No comments: